Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Put an end to this controversy

I've received a comment from Jeanne Krieber-Dion herself. She sounds unhappy with me. So this message is to Jeanne:

I feel like I've gotten off to a bad start with you. I have a lifelong commitment to politics so we may meet in person someday. That is why I want to correct the problems that have occurred. My opinion about double-barreled last names is my PERSONAL opinion. Anybody is entitled to take double-barreled last names and I have no problem with it. I still believe that the traditional method of assigning last names based on the father is discriminatory, however. I do not want you or anyone else to be upset over the mistake I made on June 2nd so I am soon to go and edit the offending mistake out of that post. If I've offended you, Jeanne, I wholeheartedly apologize. I do not want to be in the bad books of the daughter of a future Prime Minister and I do not want you to misjudge me based on one factual error that I made. So again I am sorry to you and everyone about the mistake.

Sincerely,
Brendan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brandon, I think that what name anyone choose to use is thier decisions alone.
For example, my given name at birth is Marie Julie Angelle Desrochers and I chose to add my my common in law husband name (6 letters) to the mix using a hypen.
Now, tradition dictated that all of those names by given to me at birth,and at time to identify myself further I have to add my mothers family name to let others know who my ancestors were in the context of knowing who all your relatives could be. I have at last count 10,000 relatives that are descendant of my ancestors residing in North America, so as you see the reason as many and varied as to why some of us choose to use all or some of our given names. Then again , when my ancestors arrived in Canada (1637)they were identified as Bien Dit Desrochers and was changed as time went by.
Again, I wanted I was pleased to see this post.
Have a great day,
but